HIGHEST PERFORMING PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIANS RECOGNIZED FOR THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE KUPUNA COMMUNITY
MDX Hawai‘i, an agilon health platform company, introduced Excellence in Kupuna Care in 2018 to acknowledge and celebrate the high performing primary care physicians (PCPs) in six quality care metrics and their unwavering dedication to the quality of care they provide to Kupuna patients throughout Hawai‘i.
The selection criteria included six aspects of medical care which are important for patients over the age of 65. The primary care physicians highlighted in this campaign demonstrated excellence in:
- Emergency Department Utilization: Providing patients access to primary care services through flexible office hours, phone availability during non-business hours, and helpful office staff which reduces the frequency in which their patients utilize the emergency room.
- Annual Wellness Visits: Offering preventative care and patient education through the performance of annual wellness visits for most of their senior patients.
- Chronic Condition Management: Closely managing chronic conditions, as measured by a large number of their patients with acceptable blood pressure and glucose levels.
- The Transition of Care: Recognizing the importance of follow-up visits for patients within seven days after discharge from the hospital to ensure questions about changes in medications, diet or lifestyle are well understood and monitored.
- Preventive Care and Screenings: Rendering preventive screenings to identify disease early, such as breast and colon cancers, as well as the performance of routine Influenza immunizations.
- Access to Care/Frequency of Primary Care Visits: Primary care physicians who see all their patients at least one time a year are following best practices for quality clinical care. It’s important that physicians consult with and examine the patients with chronic health conditions even more frequently – three to four times a year. MDX Hawai‘i recognizes those physicians who have seen more than 90% of their patients at least one time in the last twelve months as Excellence in Kupuna Care Winners.